Friday, May 16, 2008

Friends are Friends Forever

10 years ago today, I lost my best friend. It seems like a lifetime ago.

I think everyone has one of these types of friends. We were the two people that everyone thought would someday get married. We were never actually "boyfriend and girlfriend" unless you count a couple of months in 7th grade, but I loved him and he loved me. Sometimes it was a brother sister kind of love and sometimes it was more. But bottom line, he was there for me and I was there for him. We would talk all hours of the night on the phone. He would listen to me complain about my boyfriends and he would tell me I was too good for them. I would listen to him complain about his love life and then we'd talk about how we should be together. The timing just never seemed right for us. But I just knew that he would always be there. My forever friend. The kind of friend that you can go weeks without talking to and then pick right back up where you left off. The kind of friend that you run to when you lose a loved one or your heart gets broken. Then one day he was gone. No notice, no frantic phone call in the middle of the night, no chance to say goodbye. No chance to tell him how much I valued his friendship and loved him.

Robert John Hamilton ended his life on May 16, 1998 at the age of 21. He was my friend, my best friend and I miss him everyday.

No comments: