Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Story of Us


I met the love of my life at a Starbucks. I walked in, we made eye contact, I walked right up to him and sat down at his table. Well it didn't exactly happen that way. I was meeting him in person at the Starbucks but actually I knew a lot about him. Dare I say...I knew everything?

We had been matched online by a very popular Internet dating service and had been instant messaging and emailing for a couple of weeks. We talked about everything. Our hopes for the future, our past relationships, what we were looking for, what we weren't looking for. It was so exciting. I'd come home everyday and log on hoping to see that little box from him pop up on the screen. I was such a computer geek all the sudden. We were both skeptical of meeting someone on the Internet. Could it be that easy? One of us had to be crazy right? Or ugly? It all came to a head that day in September as I walked up to meet the guy that seemed so right for me. 4 hours later they were telling us we had to leave because they were closed. I honestly don't have a clue what we even talked about all that time. But there was never a silent moment.

Our whirlwind romance was just that....a whirlwind. Like many new romances there was some uncertainty. I think we both wondered if this was too good to be true. I know I did. A lot! By November, less than 3 months after meeting Shawn I knew that he was the one. I probably knew before that but was too afraid to admit it. How in the world could I tell him? Then one day a moment of clarity. If I wanted to find love I had to put my heart on the line and if I got hurt in the process then God had another plan for my life. It was a thrilling and scary feeling all at the same time. You can imagine my shock when less than 24 hours after having this epiphany he looked at me and said it. "I think I'm falling in Love with you". I don't even think I responded because I could not even believe what I was hearing. There we were sitting on my couch and this man that I love was telling me he loved me without knowing how I felt about him. All I could do was hold him. Not able to speak. To this day I have no idea what the conversation after that was like. All I really remember is that as soon as I saw him the next day I told him that I loved him. And since that day I have said those three little words to him every day, about a million times!

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8





No comments: