Friday, June 27, 2008

Safe in the arms of Jesus

Today has been hard. I was preparing to leave my parents house to go to a funeral visitation. A friend that I teach with will bury her newborn son tomorrow morning. A sweet little life cut short. It is hard to understand God's plan sometimes. On my way out the door I got a call from a close family friend. "Jennifer?" she said, "She's in heaven". I knew immediately that Mary Lou had passed away. Mary Lou is my friend Robert's mom. I wrote about him on another post. He died 10 years ago. Today he and his mother were reunited in heaven. Mary Lou had ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). She was not able to walk, move or even talk. It might the worst thing that a person can go through. Your mind is still the same but your body won't do what you want it to. I went to see her a few weeks ago. She knew that it was me. I could see in her face that she wanted to talk to me. I just told her all about how everyone was doing. I showed her some pictures of Blake....she just smiled. It was really hard seeing her that way. It seems like yesterday that she was cutting my Wedding cakes. I know that she and Max and Robert are together today and they are praising our Savior. She and Robert are probably singing with the angels right now! As I was driving back to my parents after going to the funeral home I was thinking about that sweet baby boy. Nathan....his name printed on the little blue New Testament...just like the one I bought for Reece when he was a baby. The little froggie "night-night" just like the Teddy Bear one that Blake got when he was a baby, and I just thought about how lucky I am to have my sons. To see Blake's little face light up and hear him say "yuv you", I am so blessed. I thought about Mary Lou and Robert seeing each other in heaven. This song came to mind...

Story:

Many of Fanny Crosby’s popular hymns and gospel songs were written backwards. Instead of writing a poem for someone else to set to music, she wrote quite a few of her stanzas to fit somebody’s else’s tunes.

One afternoon during the summer of 1868, William H. Doan, who composed music as a hobby, knocked at Fanny Crosby’s door. When he was admitted, he rushed up to the blind poet and said:

“Miss Fanny, I have exactly forty minutes before my train leaves for Cincinnati, and I must take that train.”

When she asked the reason of his call in view of that fact, he explained, “There is to be a great state-wide Sunday School convention in Cincinnati next month. In addition to the large delegations of adults, many young people and children are expected to be present. I want a new hymn which I can introduce for the first time at this convention.”

Turning to the piano William Doan sat down and played his new tune in a rousing and stirring manner.

When he finished, Fanny Crosby said:

“Your music says ‘Safe in the arms of Jesus.’ What could be more appropriate for boys and girls at a Sunday School convention?”

Mr. Doane consulted his watch.

“Just thirty minutes left, “he said, somewhat impatiently.

She replied, “You will have your hymn.”

Going to her desk, she took out a piece of paper, found her pen, sat down and began to write.

After putting down several lines, she asked Mr. Doane to play his tune over a few times while she prepared her stanzas. As he played, she continued to write. When she was through, she folded the sheet of paper, placed it in an envelope and handed it to her friend.

“Here it is, William. You can read it on the train. Now, hurry. You don’t want to be late.”

He thanked her, said his “Goodbyes,” grabbed his hat and rushed for the carriage that was awaiting him in front of the house.

Enroute to Cincinnati on the train, he opened the envelope, took out the piece of paper and read what she had written to fit his music.

Safe in the Arms of Jesus

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast,
There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.
Hark! ’tis the voice of angels, borne in a song to me.
Over the fields of glory, over the jasper sea.

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast
There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe from corroding care,
Safe from the world’s temptations, sin cannot harm me there.
Free from the blight of sorrow, free from my doubts and fears;
Only a few more trials, only a few more tears!

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast
There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.

Jesus, my heart’s dear Refuge, Jesus has died for me;
Firm on the Rock of Ages, ever my trust shall be.
Here let me wait with patience, wait till the night is over;
Wait till I see the morning break on the golden shore.

Safe in the arms of Jesus, safe on His gentle breast
There by His love o’ershaded, sweetly my soul shall rest.

No comments: